Friday, April 20, 2012

30 Days of Biking: Still Going Strong! And What's Art got to do with it?



So far, I am 20 for 20 on days riding for 30 Days of Biking.  I'll admit that there have been days when my resolve weakened, which is why my last post suggested tips for  how to increase the chances that you (meaning I!) will go for a bike ride today.  Because it's cold and raining today, and my ride partner just cancelled, I will re-read it as necessary.  Here is another tip that occurred to me today:

Tip 5: Having a destination can increase motivation.  If I can accomplish something that I need to do anyway, such as go to a meeting or even the art store to pick up a sketch book, it immediate lifts my flagging spirits.  So, while today's ride won't be a long one, I will get something done.  And if I'm having a good time on the bike, I can always choose to go to the University Book Store instead of the close-by store.

Day 19:  Riding to Class at The Pratt Fine Arts Center--Can you help this neighbor resource survive hard financial times?

Yesterday, I rode to Pratt Fine Arts Center for a much anticipated metalworking class.  There is something about superheating metal and pounding on it that I enjoy and I've wanted to take a class there for a long time.  So, I was sad to hear that Pratt is having financial troubles and almost did not hold this round of classes.  Pratt Fine Arts Center is a non-profit arts center in  Seattle's Central District.  In Pratt's 3 building these house facilities for glassblowing, lampworking, glass beadmaking, flameworked glass, metal sculpture, bronze casting, stone carving, jewelry and metalsmithing, woodworking, printmaking, painting and drawing.

So, I know some of my friends are serious art people, so I will provide a few links to events that might be of interest.


Pratt Fine Arts Center's 30th Annual Fine Art Auction: Birthday Bash on May 5, 2012
I hear that the event the night before is really good too, so here are the details:

Pratt Exposed: 2012 Fine Art Auction Exhibition
May 4 from 6-9pm
Bell Harbor Conference Center, 2211 Alaskan Way, Pier 66

Meet the artists and preview hundreds of artworks donated to Pratt’s 30th Annual Fine Art Auction before they enter private collections. FREE and open to the public.  Hmm, that seems like a good event to ride my bike to too!

Let's Roll!
Donna
Seattle, WA






No comments:

Post a Comment